Sunday, February 1, 2009

Winter Running, Training, 8K fun run, and other ramblings

Its been awhile since I've really written a post on the blog. I just haven't been in the mood, and I have had a bit of the case of the winter blahs that have rendered me less than motivated to write witty and interesting posts. This will have to do. In addition to winter blahs, I have been working on another book, so every time I go on the computer I have this little nagging guilt that I should be working on the book (yes, that includes now - but I am telling the book to talk to the hand at the moment).

So how about that weather, Northern folk?

Outside of today, which was great weather-wise, The weather SUCKS, just plain SUCKS. Now I know some of you must be thinking, you know you live in Canada right? Yes, I know, but our winters are really never that bad. Its not rare that we only see no or little snow in Dec and only dusting's in Jan and Feb.

Not this year.


Lets rewind back a few weeks ago. Hubs and I travelled to his hometown of Parry Sound so that he could participate in his step-fathers memorial dart tournament (a real northern Ontario hobby - there's not much else to do in the snow and blizzard-like weather). It was white-out conditions on the drive up, but we made it and had a fun time. We had run at the indoor track on Friday before we drove up, and then planned to run at the track again when we returned on Sunday.

We left just Parry Sound after 1:00, and what is normally about a three hour drive took us nearly FIVE hours! Crappy slippery weather, and we drove by several cars in the ditch (they already had help). We were starving when we finally got home, so Hubs when and got a pizza, and then we went to run. This is what our driveway looked like when we finally arrived home.








Determined to get my 17 miler in, Hubs and I ran to the dome, where I pounded out 13 miles of it in 2 hours (with major pizza indigestion), and then drove home, and ran the remaining 4 miles on the treadmill in the basement. Talk about torture.
Week 4 of marathon training was 43 miles.
The weather continued to storm for the the next week. I ran a 10 K tempo run in 53:10(8:33 mil/min) at the track. I didn't even notice Hubs snapping the picture. I was in the zone. The pain-yes-I-may-puke- zone.

I also ran an awesome 22 miler indoors (3 hours, 23 minutes, 9:14 mile/min pace/5:44 km/mi) on Saturday. Super pleased with the run, I didn't stop once. I can't remember every having this strong of a long run. Maybe fitz will pay off! I hope so! I have two more 22 milers planned for this training cycle, so hopefully they go as well as this one did.
Sunday was a the Robbie Burns 8K fun race. I woke up with sore legs not wanting to go, but you get free tartan plaid pants for running. So Hubs and I rolled out of our cozy, warm, fluffy bed, and drove to Burlington, grabbing coffee and a bagel on the way.
They played bagpipes at the start and served an awesome breakfast afterwards (coffee, oatmeal, bagels, coffee, fruit), a total steal for the $30 entry fee. I ran at tempo pace (it was all I could muster after yesterday long run), to finish in 43:35 (8:43 mil/min or 5:25km/min). Meh, not great, but it was just a fun run, and it was freeezzzing (-12C). Despite the cold, it was good to run outside again. Here is a picture of me warming up by the fire at home in my new tartan flannel pants :))




Week 5 of marathon training was 43 miles.

This week was a little rough. I decided mid-week to employ a mid training taper. I can afford to do this since I am a week ahead a schedule. So I ran a total of 24 miles this week. My body just needed the rest. The next two weeks are 48 miles and 55 miles total, and I want to run every mile of them.

Even though my mileage was less this week I had some quality runs. I ran some track 1K repeats at the dome. 4 sets at 4:41, 4:47, 4:45 and 4:50. It felt good to run some speed repeats again (well not during, but definitely after).
Today was mild (34F/3C), and Hubs and I went for a leisurely 20K run. Here are some pictures we took.
Scraping the driveway pre-run. Great warm up.

January miles: 167.4 - Very pleased with this number!
Eating is going so-so. I will update you on that in a later post. In the meantime, congrats to all those that raced this weekend. Look forward to reading your reports. Thanks for reading

35 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i'm so sick of this snow too... ugh. Cute pants!! and 22 miles indoors! You go girl... i'm not sure i could do that! Have a great week!

RunningLaur said...

When a Canadian says that the snow and ice is bad, it really has to be! Doing that many miles indoor is really impressive - way to kick butt!

Unknown said...

Good job with your Jan running. It's good you could do some long runs on an indoor track.

Kim said...

167 miles? You BEAST! Great job!

Hope that book is going well.

Heather said...

Those are some great runs - especially all the ones you did indoors! You deserved a little taper in there.

Janice {Run Far} said...

167 miles? I was excited about my little number of 138. Good job, and running on an indoor track.

Aron said...

22 miles indoors?!?! WOW that is pretty amazing. great job on the training!!! i think that recovery week was a great call, i should have thought to be a week ahead of schedule :) you are doing awesome and keep it up!!

tfh said...

Wow, that training is really impressive-- not just great mileage but also fantastic speed. After your mini-breather you're going to be so strong for the next two high-mileage weeks. Keep up the good work!

Chic Runner said...

Those pictures are so pretty but the winter blahs suck for sure. I'm ready for some warm weather!

Run Mommy said...

I can't believe you did 22 miles at the Civic..I'm impressed! I have been trying to get a hold of you but you are never home...no wonder with all that running! I am also very shocked at your mileage and speed for the month - you are going to kick some serious butt.

Marathon Maritza said...

Wow, you crammed a lot into this post...I feel like my comment is going to be epic!

First of all, I'm so thoroughly impressed with you getting in 40+ miles in in that weather! Brrr!!! And indoor track fro 22 miles??? Wow! I do think it's better than a treadmill but, man! You rock! Definitely a well-deserved recovery week.

Also, I think your house is soooo pretty! I know it's all snow-covered, which you are hating right now, but I love the brick!

And please be careful driving!!!

Ali said...

I am so over this winter too! It feels like it has been here for ever. I am in complete awe of your mileage, that is fantastic.

No Longer Using said...

great pics!!!!! jeeeeeez you've got somE DISTANCE goin' onnnn! :) way to go!

Meg said...

Congrats on those runs! You were pretty determined running 17 miles indoors!
I like the pants!

Vandy-Montana said...

Just stumbled on to your blog. I read that you want to do marathons in all 50 states. May I suggest the Grizzly Marathon in Choteau, Montana (Montana may be a hard state to get). This year it's on August first!

FLYERS26 said...

Great job with everything!
When spring hits, all the hard work you have done this winter will pay off!

SuperDave said...

I do feel for ya -The winter blahs I have and I live 700 miles more south! The dedication you have to still be running in the cold and snow - amazing I say!
I'm blown away when I think that you ran in circles for 22 miles. You go girl!!
just think, winter is half way over...

RunToTheFinish said...

man way to go on not letting the snow stop you that is friggin incredible!

Marlene said...

Awesome job on all the training, Marci! You've been working so hard. Nice work on the long runs, tempos, repeats, race and everything in between!

Laurel said...

OMG, you are seriously doing great! Awesome numbers for January. And I can't believe you and those indoor long runs. You're my hero.

Anonymous said...

Way to rock those runs! I so don't envy your cold weather, though!

joyRuN said...

Getting those runs in despite those conditions is AMAZING.

Great job on the serious mileage!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on the 22 miler! You are running strong. I can't wait for the weather to be nicer or a little more consistent.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i don't see your email address, but if you want, I can scan the report I got and email it to you... I got the heart rate zones with matching pace zones (mph), and also racing paces/zones... broken down by length of time racing. Being a numbers person, i love having the detailed info... and with it being so tailored to me because it was my own body, i find it interesting. you can email me at meldittrick [at] gmail [dot] com if you're interested. :)

BeachRunner said...

Wow. Awesome training! And shoveling. And darting. And traveling... And dont you look hot in those flannels. :)

Lindsay said...

wow! 167 miles! and a 22 miler, indoors no less. lord you are intense :)

congrats on a great month!

Carly said...

I sooooooo can relate to your winter blahs. This is the worst winter we have had in a long time and it is not close to being done.

Great job on the indoor running.

RoadBunner said...

Wow! I give you so much credit for your dedication running through the winter. It will pay off for you!

Vava said...

Amazing stuff! Your mileage makes me (and my achy knees) so envious. Continued success!

And isn't it nice how 6pm is no longer pitch black outside!?!?

X-Country2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
X-Country2 said...

Way to get in all those miles with snow snow everywhere.

Hopefully spring is coming soon.

Unknown said...

look at this now best replica designer their website replica gucci check 7a replica bags wholesale

nisenays said...

have a peek at this web-site replica louis vuitton i thought about this Louis Vuitton Dolabuy see replica gucci

neighneet said...

he has a good point Prada Dolabuy read this louis vuitton replica official website replica gucci

Anonymous said...

read more look at this web-site official site Continued check my source investigate this site